Sunday, April 23, 2006

Mountains, Bug Juice, and Interfaces

Been a busy weekend. Got the Queue stuff knocked out on a big app I'm working on. Nice to finally get some coding time to make some real progress.

Took wife and kids to Mt Cheaha today. For those unfamiliar with it, Mt Cheaha is the highest point in Alabama. Some awesome views, everything was pretty and green. In the next few weeks my company is having a big meeting there at the park lodge, and we got a chance to check it out. Very nice park ranger showed us inside and out, told us some of the lodge's history. Cheaha is well worth the trip, and if you go definately check out the resturaunt, every table has a spectacular view.

OK, about the bug juice. We've had non stop rain for the last few days. Very heavy downpours each afternoon, violent thunderstorms, flooding, hail, you know typical spring time weather. Whenever there's a huge increase in moisture we wind up seeing a bug or two sneaking it's way in to avoid the rain. Happens.

So this morning I saw a small bug, and lept into action getting out the brand new gallon of bug death juice, and squirting a little down here in my office. The squirter gizmo is on a small hose which goes down into the gallon container.

Well, I was in a bit of a hurry, so after giving a few squirts dropped the sprayer and jug on the floor of my home office and off to the mountain we went. I know most of you are now smart enough to see this coming, but clearly I was having a "dumba than Mark Miller moment" (see mondays.pwop.com if you don't know what I'm talking about).

Yes, I got home to discover the contents of the jug had slowly leaked out of the container. My office floor is now saturated with bug juice. Smells a little but not too bad. The carpet is the cheap indoor / outdoor stuff, so it'll dry. And on the bright side, it killed the bug, I found it lying dead in my office doorway trying to escape. Heh heh heh.

OK, interfaces. As I mentioned I've been reading Juval Lowy's book "Programming .Net Components". In it, he advocates always having your components expose only interfaces, and programming against the interfaces. Haven't tried it yet, but it seems like a lot of extra effort, especially on limited scope type items. Going to have to really think about this some more to convince me it's the right way to go.

Hey, Braves just won, sweet. Pulled behind from being down 0-1 against the Nationals to win 3-1.

Comments:
Huh - bug juice saturated carpet - an interesting idea. Should've tried this in my dorm room at Auburn.

Oh, and speaking of Auburn, when you were there you should've learned how to spell "definitely". :-)

And, if you want to check out a *real* blog, I now have mine up, http://www.digitaldivas.net

And just because I'm the wonderful sister that I am, I linked your blog on mine.

Later, Big Brother Tater!

Your Onliest Sister
 
Hey, spell checkers are for wimps!

Checked out the blog. Boy, pepto is right. But, against my better judgement I've added you and the dougster to my links... I just hope no one barfs on their keyboards after seeing that pinko color scheme!

73
 
PS the bug juice has evaporated now, smells heaps better in here. Just in case you were wondering.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?