Saturday, May 13, 2006

Code Camp

I just completed my first mini code camp. Lots of fun. Small group, about 8 to 10 of us, but I learned a whole lot. This session concentrated on ASP.NET 2.0, covered a lot of the basics. We covered the first half of the book Murach's ASP.NET 2.0 Web Programming with C# 2005. Pretty good book, I have never looked at the Murach's series much before, but it has lots of "oh by the way, here's a critical little piece of knowledge you must get xyz to work" types of things.

At the next session in June we'll do the second half of the book. I volunteered to teach several of the chapters at the next session, I love to teach and give speeches and what not so I'm looking forward to it.

Speaking of speeches, one more and I'll have finished my basic Toastmasters certification. Apparently public speaking seems to be one of the biggest fears that people have. Never quite understood that as I love hamming it up in front of others.

My point of this entire post is: get involved. Go join a local user group. Join a local toastmasters club. Just do something to get involved with your local professional community. You'll learn a lot, make new friends, and have a lot of fun in the process!

By the way, thanks to Microsoft for the pizza and donuts they sent us today! Easier to learn on a full tummy! And thanks to the BSDA for putting this on, and letting a couple of newcomers (my friend Bin came along to the camp with me) join 'em at the last minute.

73

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?